This is a list of websites that offer low cost volunteer opportunities. For us, the point of volunteering is to help offset costs such as food and lodging. The thought that we will be giving our time to people who need it, is a nice bonus too. Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions that should be included in this list.
- WWOOF organisations link people who want to volunteer on organic farms or smallholdings with people who are looking for volunteer help.
- WWOOF Independents. We list all WWOOF hosts in countries that do not have a national WWOOF organization.
- True Travellers Society - The aim of our organization is to connect people to no or minimal fee meaningful travel and volunteer travel opportunities around the globe. We have created a central location where this information can be shared for free.
- Independent Volunteer - The difference between us and other websites is that we only list projects and organizations that charge low or no fees (other than reasonable food and accommodation costs).
- Ecoteer is a unique volunteer opportunities agency - offering a directory of cheap volunteer work opportunities, volunteer jobs abroad and working holidays.
- Omprakash - connect with our Partners to find an appropriate opportunity, share resources and advice with past and current Volunteers, and apply for Volunteer Grants to help defray travel costs.
- The Working Traveller - An online magazine with information on volunteering and working abroad
- The Jobs Abroad Bulletin - Affiliated with the Working Traveller above, contains postings for organizations looking for employees and volunteers.
- CUSO-VSO They send Canadians and Americans abroad to work on collaborative development projects in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. Mostly longer term placements.
- World Wide Helpers gives volunteers & organisations the power to share, connect and make a difference.
- Free Volunteering Working under the philosophy that “your time is a sufficient contribution; additional financial donations should not be mandatory,” this site includes a database of free and low-cost opportunities.
South America & Central America
- Quetzaltrekkers – a non profit, volunteer-run trekking organization that operates in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala and Leon, Nicaragua. 100% off all proceeds are used to support local schools for low income families.
- Sonati. A non-profit organization dedicated to providing free environmental education and activities in Nicaragua. They run a hostel and treks where all the profits go to environmental education. Sonati is located in both Esteli and Leon Nicaragua.
- Volunteer South America. This site lists the free and low-cost volunteer opportunities in South & Central America. The site is designed for backpackers /independent travelers looking for a real volunteer experience abroad, without paying any middle-man or agency fees.
- Entre Mundos is a non-governmental organisation (NGO) which supports and helps local community NGOs in Guatemala. They have a free searchable volunteer database.