- Canadian travelers were eligible for coverage
- Medical expenses are covered globally without the requirement to re-book or register each new destination country
- Long terms 1 year or greater away from home
- Term can be extended or renewed while on the road
We were surprised at how few options we were able to find meeting the above requirements. In particular, there were very few plans that would cover us for a single trip away from home equal to or longer than 1 year.
Here's what we did find. If you know of others that we should consider, please tell us about them.
International Medical Group (IMG)
- Global Medical Insurance. This is the cheapest option of the two. There are several plan levels allowing you to customize your coverage. You also set your insurance deductible allowing you to further reduce the cost of your chosen insurance plan. The basic silver package provides $5,000,000 in lifetime medical benefits, and $50,000 for emergency evacuation. This is just medical insurance, no additional trip cancellation, lost baggage, or theft insurance is included.
- These guys have plenty of recommendations from travelers who have used their product. They are also recommended by Lonely Planet. There is only a single plan available with no deductible. The plan provides a similar $5,000,000 in medical coverage, and a whopping $500,000 for emergency evacuation. In addition, this plan provides additional insurance for trip cancellation, lost baggage, and theft.
We haven't decided which plan we are going to choose for our trip yet, when we do we'll let you know. Your comments on theses and other options are greatly appreciated and will help us make our decision.
We've spent a fair amount of time scouring the internet looking for medical insurance that will fit our needs as world travelers.
We looked for insurance that fulfilled our requirements as follow: