The Working Traveller
I was abruptly reminded that March 1st, 2011 is exactly 1 year after Ashley and I decided to travel the world
. It may also be of interest to some that March 1st, 2011 is also the first day of Breakaway Backpacker's
Wow, we've had a whole year to prepare for and plan our trip already. What's more, there's only 4 months left before we will be homeless, unemployed, and embarking on our long anticipated journey!
So, how has the preparation been going? Umm, it's been going okay, maybe even good. As luck would have it, just today I came across this guest post by Jack and Jill at Don't Ever Look Back
. Just for fun, let's compare how we stack up to their list.
Time until departure: 1 year or more
Create a budget
- We plan on selling our house - we have our house up for sale this very moment.
- We'll be quitting our jobs to travel - at first we wanted to take a year off from work, but our employers didn't cooperate.
Start paying off or reducing your debt
- We went about this in sort of a screwball fashion, we looked at how much we could save by July, and decided that was a good enough number for our travel funds.
Reduce the number of commitments
– Work in Progress (WIP)
Visit the local library and start researching places that interest you. Read travel journals, magazines, and books (can I recommend Bill Bryson?) and other blogs to inspire you.
- Ashley has a cellular telephone contract that we will have to buy out, and a gym membership that expires shortly.
- Otherwise, We reduced our satellite TV bill considerably, and I cancelled my gym membership to save a few extra $$.
Make (a very long) list of countries you want to visit. Do a brain dump and just start writing them down.
- I'm following a bunch of travel blogs, twittering, and reading travel books on a daily basis. If anything, I've gone too far on this one.
- One of the first things Ashley and I did was to purchase a world map for our wall. As we read more about places we'd like to go, we add pins to the map.
Time until departure: 6 months – 1 year
Narrow down your itinerary list
Research what vaccinations you’ll need
- I don't think we'll ever have a proper itinerary. What we are working on now is a joint "bucket list" for our trip. Right now we are preparing our personal lists. Next step will be to meld them together and figure out a way to fit them into our rough travel plans.
Start connecting with other travelers
- You can check our our research here. We still have a few more to get, but we are well on our way.
Take an honest look at your budget. Have you been meeting your monthly savings goal?
- We have the blog up and running and have been working out the kinks. Mike is working on his comma splices and spelling mistakes.
- We were also lucky enough to meet a local couple who are planning their own RTW.
- And, we signed up for Couch Surfing. We would be happy to meet some travelers by hosting them before we go.
- So far, So good
- As of February 28th, we are on track to reach our savings goals. We even cut our monthly budget another $120 to compensate for a bill we received in January after our car was in a hit and run accident.
Time until departure: 4 months
Decide on whether you’ll get a round-the-world ticket or point-to-point tickets
. - Done
Check the expiration date on your passport. Renew if necessary.
- Point-to-point tickets for us.
- Not Done
Take advantage of your work insurance.
Start researching travel insurance
- We've been hard at work becoming unfettered since December. Slowly but surely, we've been making progress.
- I'm fairly certain that we'll still need some garage sales this spring.
- And we still will have a car for sale.
So, there you have it, I think we are doing okay. As long as our house sells before July, we'll be in great shape for our trip. 12 months down, and 4 more to go, I can safely say I'm excited... maybe even obsessed.
Amazing how time can sneak up on you. Thanks to Shane at