By , May 25, 2011 9:15 pm
We've been putting together a list of documentation to get together before we leave home. We've got most of it together, but there are still some things we need to collect. None the less, we thought our list was complete enough to share it with the world. If you happen to see (or not see as the case would be) something that should really be included, please let us know. I've divided things up a bit based on how we plan to store them. In all cases, we are going to scan everything (front and back of credit cards). A copy of the scanned files will be left in our safety deposit box on a USB thumbdrive where my sister can access them should we need her to. Another copy will be encrypted and taken with us on our laptop. Those same encrypted copies will be emailed to ourselves just in case we lose our laptop on the road.

To carry with us:

Passports Driver's License International Driver's Permit Vaccination Records Health Insurance Cards Credit Cards Bank Cards PADI Dive Certificate Spare Passport Photos Traveled Earth Business Cards

To leave in the safety deposit box:

Ashley and Our Safety Deposit Box

Ashley and Our Safety Deposit Box

Last Will and Testaments Living Wills Enduring Power of Attorneys List of Bank Accounts Birth Certificates Social Insurance Cards Engineering/Teaching Certificates Saskatchewan Health Cards Marriage Certificate Full Health Insurance Policy Ashley's Engagement Ring

Digital copies only:

Past Income Tax Records High School Diplomas University Degrees University Transcripts Criminal Record Checks Resumes Doctor's Notes/Prescriptions Eye glass Prescription

9 Responses to “Travel Documentation”

1. Great list!! Do you have any doctors notes or prescriptions with you? I kept copies of these electronically also. Cheers!

2. Tijmen says:

You can never have enough copies of important files. I always give multiple people copies of scans of my passport and other important documents. You never know when you need them in case of an emergency.

• Mike Lenzen says:

Not a bad idea. I was just going to leave everything in the safety deposit box, but it’s probably a good idea to have our passports more accessible just in case.

3. megan says:

I took a list of everything my doctor had prescribed me, with a note from him saying he’d prescribed it and that he understood I was travelling from X date to X date. Never had to use it at airports or anything like that (although I was a veritable travelling pharmacy!) but it came in handy when I went to see a doctor in China.

• Mike Lenzen says:

I’m starting to feel like I should be getting some prescriptions. Aside from injuries, I’ve done a good job of avoiding doctors. I suppose I should have a prescription for malaria pills. Another thing to put on my to-do list.

4. Jay says:

Wow you guys seem extremely organised! Obviously know what you are doing though given the time you have been “on the road” 🙂 Im currently going through the planning stages of my backpack contents and its already starting to play on my mind even though I still have 6 months before we leave the UK for Beijing!

• Mike Lenzen says:

I remember back 6 months before we left home. I don’t think I thought about much else besides our upcoming trip either. I saw your packing list, looks like you’ve got the right idea. Just remember that clothing is much cheaper in Asia then I suspect it is in the UK so don’t feel like you need a new wardrobe before you leave home. That said, good quality zip-off quick dry pants do seem to be a bit of a rarity. I’d replace my worn out pair if I could find some.

• Jay says:

Yeh I don’t think I have much else to get clothing wise apart from the essentials obviously – wouldn’t want to “go commando” in a hostel 🙂 I think maybe just another pair of zip-off’s, couple of t-shirts and swim shorts.

Next on the list are the tedious bits – medical supplies and insurance… 🙂