- We reached our savings goal. As of May 1, we had achieved 100% of our original travel fund goal.
- We paid off our mortgage and student loans... officially debt-free!
- Our house sold! While we accepted an offer at the end of April, it wasn't until May 4th that the conditions were taken off and the deposit was paid.
- We held a Boston Lee Day/Going Away Party - our "Last Hurrah" at our house
- We moved out of our home of 6 years (10 years for Mike)... we were married in the backyard, so it was kind of tough letting go
- We moved into our new temporary residence (Mike's parents' house), a whole block away from the old place
- We held a huge garage sale where we sold the majority of our worldly possessions. The result: another 1.5% added on to our savings goal.
- We relocated our cat to her new home with one of my work colleagues. This was heartbreaking, but it had to be done. I ask about her daily. She is adjusting well to her new home.
- My union took job action in its labour dispute. As a result, it's been an emotional and stressful month at work and I have spent three unpaid days striking/rallying in Regina.
- We handed over the keys of our old house to the new owners. No turning back now!
- I cancelled my cell phone contract (which still had 1 year remaining) and got the company to waive the $300+ in early cancellation fees... cha-ching!
- We attended a dinner party with Get Up and Globe and Shahan & Donna-Lee, two fellow Saskatchewan couples preparing for their own RTW adventures.
Now there's only 35 days and change until we get on the plane to Cancun. Can't wait!
Mike and Ashley - Boston Lee Day
May has been a HUGE month for us here at Traveled Earth! Here's a quick recap of the last 31 days: